Skip to main content

Facilitating PD

I love all the typical things about teaching high school math. I love seeing those light bulb moments. I love having kids leave class with a bit of spring in their step because math class was "fun". I really love when I have set up an activity so well that I don't actually have to do any teaching and the math-magic just sort of happens in class. But recently, I have been thinking about finding a different role. Trying to grow and flex my teacher muscles in a different capacity.
Over the last few summers, I have been really diving into some personal PD, reading books and blogs, watching videos and going to a conferences. Every time I  finished a book I felt was particularly inspiring or left the last day of a conference I kept coming back to "man, I need to share this with EVERYONE!" So lately, I have been kicking around the idea of instructional coach or math coordinator as a potential move. The idea of leaving teaching, which I think I am getting better at each year, and getting to an area that is completely unknown really makes me nervous. So I decided to dip a toe this summer and volunteered to co-present a 2 day (12 hours!) PD focused on the book, Becoming the Math Teacher You Wish You Had by Tracy Zager. I was lucky enough to present it with our K-8 math coordinator, who is amazing and supportive and inspirational. She actually facilitated a book study, which I was a part of last semester, and I was inspired and wanted to bring it to people in the district that were interested but weren't available to commit several weeks to the book study. So jump ahead a summer and here we are at the end of day 2.  I feel really good about how it went and I really enjoyed presenting. I think the group left feeling just as inspired as I often do when I leave those kinds of PD opportunities. I just may have gotten bitten by the teaching teachers bug. But we will have to see how it all plays out. But for right now, as my last few days of summer slip by, I am thinking about how I can motivate, encourage, and inspire the my department one teacher at a time. I think I may have hooked a couple at PD. I hope it sticks!

Comments

  1. Such an awesome book! I just finished reading it and chatting it on Twitter and I have several take-aways! Glad your PD went well :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Math Autobiography

After reading Kent Haines blog "The Process Column" on how he incorporates math autobiographies into the first few days of his class, I have been inspired to try it in my class too. Class officially starts next week and I am going to read them mine and ask them to write their own version as well. I have invited a couple English teachers to write their math autobiographies too (like Kent did) so I can share experiences as well. I am looking forward to seeing what my kids say.  Here is my math autobiography: I remember very little about my math classes from school. There are a few things that stick out, but not for good reasons. I remember doing flash cards in first grade and feeling the victory of completing a set and getting to move on to the next and the utter defeat when I missed too many and I had to keep that set for a few more days until I got better. I remember playing around the world in fifth grade, standing behind my classmate trying to be the first one to ans

Staying Inspired Through the First Month and Beyond

I am feeling inspired after three days of the Add It Up conference in St. Louis. For the last two days, I have even gone home and started working on lessons for next year. How do I fit all of these good ideas in? I just get so excited. But what keeps coming up for me is how do I stay motivated after the first month or so to keep inserting all of the new ideas. How do I remind myself once we are deep into content that problem solving and estimation still deserve time in class? During the summer, I have time to read, go to conferences, and collaborate. I find all the inspiration I need push myself and I have a ton of time to implement it. But once school has started, when all of my responsibilities start piling up, along with papers I have to grade and just being exhausted, I find myself just falling back into my old routines. I start talking too much. Seems counter intuitive. I have to work harder than my students when I am doing all of the talking. I really appreciate being reminded